Theme: Re-Imagining The Good Life
July 31st to August 3rd, 2013
This year we will take on the biggest questions of life: What is the Good Life? How is the shape of your soul a clue to the seeds of your destiny? How will your relationships be a deciding factor in your pursuit of the good life?
Join Us For KindlingsFest 2013!
1) WHEN: Wednesday July 31st to Saturday August 3rd 2013
2) WHAT: KindlingsFest is a celebration of art and ideas and where they intersect with the spiritual. This four-day getaway provides just the right mix of free time for you and your family to enjoy the refreshing wonders of Orcas Island while drinking in the a stimulating morning lecture, conversations with artists in residence and BagEnd Cafe.
The Kindlings is a relational, intergenerational movement whose mission is to rekindle the spiritual, intellectual and creative legacy of Christians in culture. The Kindlings welcomes people to participate in our events regardless of their religious affiliation.
3) WHERE: Off the coast of Washington State on beautiful Orcas Island, gem of the San Juan islands. Orcas Island was named by Island Magazine as one of the top ten islands in the world to call home. Events are held at Orcas Island Community Church, 176 Madrona Street Eastsound Washington 98245
4) WHO: Featured lecturers Art Miller, Chi-Dooh Li (Skip Li), Rev. Laurie Wheeler, Dick Staub and more, Daily Meditations by C.S. Lewis Scholar Dr. Jerry Root. Also: Dr. Jeff Keuss, Nigel Goodwin, Jeff Johnson, photographer Dieter Zander and more. Artists -in-residence include poet Scott Cairns, visual artist Chris Anderson, and Roots Rock band TJ Stafford (a.k.a Uncle Daddy).
Chi-Dooh Li (Skip Li) will speak the subject of The Good Life ~ A Life for others. Skip is an extraordinary man. Kidnapped at age two, a refugee from the Chinese Communist revolution, a man who had seen the world by the time he was sixteen, Chi-Dooh Li had earned his comfortable life in America. But a throwaway comment by a man he had never met shook him awake to a shocking realization and soon this Spanish-speaking Chinese lawyer from Seattle said yes to a crazy idea.
"The Shape of Your Soul; The Seeds of Your Destiny." For more than 45 years, Art Miller has been seeking to influence the thinking of those who lead, manage, and influence our society's foundational institutions toward the conviction that accessing and productively utilizing the giftedness with which individuals have been endowed is the only way to achieve organizational and personal objectives, as well as to solve the besetting problems of education, work, religion, and the family.
According to Jeff Keuss (and many others), Laurie Wheeler is one of the finest preachers in America. She is a pastor serving on the staff of University Presbyterian Church. She is a scholar having completed an M Div. at Fuller Theological Seminary, and is currently completing her PhD in NT at Durham. More importantly, she is passionate about the Kingdom of God and helping each person find their place in it.
Writer-In-Residence: Poet Scott Cairns poems have appeared in such venues as The Atlantic Monthly, The Paris Review, and The New Republic, and have been anthologized in Upholding Mystery (Oxford University Press, 1997) and Best Spiritual Writing, 1998 (HarperCollins, 1998). His Poetry collections include Recovered Body (Braziller, 1998), Figures for the Ghost (University of Georgia Press, 1994), The Translation of Babel (University of Georgia Press, 1990), and The Theology of Doubt (Cleveland State University, 1985).
Dick Staub is an award-winning broadcaster, writer and founder of The Kindlings. After years of interviewing the shapers of American culture ~ authors, futurists, theologians, filmmakers, musicians, philosophers, business leaders, educators, politicians, trend-watchers and others ~ Dick Staub is one of today’s most experienced and thoughtful observers of belief in contemporary culture. For more information visit www.DickStaub.com and www.TheKindlings.com Though an in demand speaker, this is his first time speaking at a KindlingsFest. (This must mean he has something he must say!)
Chris Anderson studied visual art in Italy, at the Tyler School of Art in Rome, in New York at the Pratt Institute of Art, and in California, at Scripps College (BA, 1971) and the Claremont Graduate University (MFA, 1973). She has received numerous awards and honors for her work, including fellowship grants from The National Endowment for the Arts (Painting), New York Foundation for the Arts (Painting), Artists Space (Artist's Grant), Ludwig Vogelstein Foundation (Painting) and New York State Council on the Arts (CAPS Grant). The work of Chris Anderson has been shown extensively here and abroad and may be found in over fifty public and corporate collections
Dr. Jerry Root earned his Ph.D. at British Open University. Thesis: C. S. Lewis and the Problem of Evil: A Pervasive Theme. He is co-editor of the classic: The Quotable Lewis. Upon graduation from college he selected Lewis as an author who would take him to other authors and has made of him a life study. Jerry has lectured in 14 countries and 19 States.
Jeff Johnson and Wendy Goodwin will lead contemplative worship each morning! . The truly great musicians are an eclectic blend of skillful dexterity, untamed imagination and passionate heart. Jeff Johnson’s wide variety of recorded work is a testimony to both his considerable skill and his boundless love. He is a musician’s musician, one who connects with a wide variety of people on a grand scale. He is equally at home capturing the slightest nuance on the smallest of recording projects and on the giant sound-stage of an Oscar winning film. Wendy Goodwin has distinguished herself as a versatile and creative presence in the Pacific Northwest and beyond through unique violin and vocal stylings joining Classical, Jazz and Americana. Ms. Goodwin currently performs extensively with Windham Hill/Ark Music recording artists Jeff Johnson and Brian Dunning.
TJ Stafford (a.k.a Uncle Daddy) hails from Los Angeles, but each member comes from all over with an extensive resumé. Members have scored TV and Film – “BattleStar Galactica," “Toy Story 3," and “The Walking Dead," to name a few – as well as toured with Rush, and started String Project LA - dubbed, “One of the top 10 reasons to study music in LA." Some would classify them as a rock band, others as roots-rock, still others as WASPs. Their recordings include Chelsea Moon & Uncle Daddy 'Hymns vol. 1,' An Uncle Daddy Christmas, and their recently released Good Mourning.They are: TJ Stafford, Christopher Allis, Robbie Anderson, Jacob Szekely, and Andrew Jed.
Nigel Goodwin is a graduate of the Royal Academy of Dramatic Arts and former student of Francis Schaeffer and Hans Rookmaker at L’Abri. He is the Founder of the London Arts Centre Group and Executive Director of Genesis Arts Trust, a ministry committed to serving the needs of Christian artists throughout the world. Nigel and his wife, Gillian, live on the Isle of Wight and are the parents of three grown daughters.
5) SCHEDULE: KindlingsFest is intentionally light on programming so you can relax and enjoy the beauty and slower pace of life on Orcas Island. Devotional in the morning. Lecture at 10am. Buffet lunch at Noon. Kindlings Muse at 6:30 pm. BagEnd at 8:00 pm. Late Night 10:00 pm: Sundance Select: Three provocative films from Sundance (TBA) with discussion at lunch the next day with Dr. Jeff Keuss.
BUFFET LUNCH: After each lecture we offer a catered buffet ($14 per person). You will order meals when you register, but you will pay for your meals when you check in forKindlingsFest. This meal after the morning lecture is a great way to meet people from all over the country (and world) who are joining us for KindlingsFest. See sample menu at bottom of this page.
All other items (see below: accommodations, meals and all other events) are ala carte! Please use the links below to book your accommodations and make your travel arrangements NOW! Orcas Island gets overbooked in the summer.
6) What about kids? KindlingsKids is a fun program for kids thirteen and under (with a nursery) that operates during the morning lectures . The kids love it!
7) EARLY REGISTRATION (By MAY 31,st 2013). Our registration fees for KindlingsFest 2013 were set modestly to cover our actual expenses for this event. Register early by May 31st and the price per adult is $150. After May 31st the per adult price is $175. $75 per student. Children 12 and under $20 . (Some scholarship funds may be available by writing The Kindlings @ PO Box 729, Eastsound, WA 98245.)
KindlingsKamp @ KindlingsFest 2013 We were encouraged to see more students, young adults and families at K-Fest last summer, but we also recognize the cost of accommodations is a barrier for many. So ~ we opened up a low-cost ($30 for the week), rustic, camping area on church property to accommodate about 50 campers. Bring your own tent if possible, for others, a couple of dormitory style tents will house singles and we can provide a few more tents for those who cant bring them. There will be showers available at nearby gym twice a day and there will be portable bathrooms. If you are interested in this possibility, go ahead and register and mention your interest in the COMMENTS area. A PDF of details can be found HERE.
Please Register- so you wont miss a thing!
It is a good idea to book your accommodations early.
Plan on arriving Tuesday, and leaving Sunday afternoon.
7) ACCOMMODATIONS, MEALS AND OTHER THINGS TO DO ON ORCAS.
- Accommodations Hotels, Bed & Breakfasts, Camping.
- Dining Orcas is home to a wide range of dining options.
- Outdoor Activities Whale watching, kayaking, sailing, hiking, swimming
- Arts & Galleries Enjoy local Northwest artists
- Arts & Shopping No malls, no chains, just wonderful local shoppes.
- Transportation Ferries (Walk On or Drive On!), Planes or (walk in the water?)
- Buffet Menu – TBA (Last Year's is posted to give you an idea of the meals)
Wednesday Grilled Salmon Ciabata Sandwich, Potato Salad, Brownies
Thursday Mixed Grill Kabobs, Garden Salad, Garlic Bread, Strawberry Shortcake
Friday Wood Fired Pizzas, Caesar Salad, Apple Crisp
Saturday BBQ Pork Back Ribs, Corn Bread, Harvest Quinoa Salad, Peach Cobbler
Drinks | Sweet Basil Lemonade, Iced Tea and Ice Water